Derek Martin wrote:
..
FWIW it's about twice what you're looking to spend, but I think it's
worth the extra money to get the DVD burner.  Huge amounts of data,
fast fast fast.  And it burns CDs too, if that's all you really want.

It probably would be worth it, but alas, I'm cash strapped till I get a real job.

In theory, any drive should work fine, since they all pretty much just
implement SCSI over USB.  That's well supported in the Linux kernel.
But as with everything else, YMMV.

That's what I was hoping for, but I've had bad luck with no-name internal burners before. My "COMBO-52X16" DVD/CDRW won't detect the presense of a blank disk. Probably just needs a firmware update, but I'm too lazy to pull it out of my desktop to get the actual manufacturer name. At least with a USB drive I can lug it to a Windows PC and run any needed firmware updates.

I was thinking of getting a cheap LaCie, MadDog Multimedia, or Hi-Val
drive.  They're running under $70 at CompUSA...

Brian