From: Benjamin Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 20:42:38 -0400 (EDT)

<snip>

      If the series is statistically random, then the probability of getting
*any*
   set of N characters it the same.  If you have a statistically random penny,
   for example, and you flip it 20 times, you have just as much a chance of
   getting 20 heads as you do 10 heads, because each individual flip is
strictly
   50/50, and each flip has no bearing on any other flip.  The fact that you
get
   10 heads in a row does not mean the next one should be tails to "start
making
   up for the previous 10 heads".

You said you... flunked? combinatronics. :)

If I take my... statistically random penny... and flip it 20 times, the
probability of getting 20 heads is (1/2)^20, or 1/2^20.

The probability of getting 10 heads in 20 flips is:

20C10 (1/2)^10 (1/2)^(20-10) = 20C10 1/2^20

without even calculating 20C10, you can see this is 20C10 times more
likely than getting 20 heads.

The reason for this is that the 20 trials *are* related to each other
in one important way: you're counting them.

      Of course, as [EMAIL PROTECTED] discovered, when it comes to matters of
   crypto, one's own tools tend to be the first source of trouble.  This is why
   peer review of crypto software is absolutely critical.

I think the lessons learned here are:

 (1) Always double check your crypto.
 (2) Never use Perl BigInt's for anything ever... especially crypto.
 (3) When in doubt, use LISP.

:)

   --
   Ben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>