Bruce Labitt writes:
 > I have a SuSE 9.0 system running and have recently upgraded KDE to
 > 3.4.2.  Just today I noticed that my USB key can no longer be written
 > to.  All files seem to be write protected.  There is a mechanical switch
 > on the side of the key which, duh, sets write protection.  Now before
 > you all say the switch is busted, just 10 minutes ago I checked it on my
 > old 'doze machine and it allows me to read and write to it.

        See if it's mounted read only.  Type "mount" at a command
prompt.  See if that mentions "ro" ore "read-only".  If that's the
case you should be able to remount it read-write, though you'll have
to find and close everything that KDE attached to it before you'll be
able to unmount and then mount it by hand.  Figuring out why KDE is
doing this, if it is, is left as an exercise for someone who can touch
the machine (i.e.; not me from here).

        See if it's mounted as another user, e.g.; root, with
restrictive permissions in the "other" (as in User, Group, Other, see
"man chmod").  Again, the output from "mount" may help to figure this
out, as might looking at the apparent ownership of the files when you
do "ls <MOUNT-POINT>".  I presume that it has a FAT filesystem
(including VFAT), which doesn't have file ownership, so mount has
options on who to say owns the files, and what the "umask" is.  See
"man mount", "man 5 fstab".  Again, how the KDE change makes this
happen and how to fix it is an exercise for someone who is there.

        HTH, goos luck.

                                                        Bill