On Sep 27 at 12:21pm, Bill Freeman wrote:

  Hey!  :-)

      But sometimes it seems not to recognize that there are parts
(though I can see some MIME division stuff) and simply presents the
text of the message.

      This last makes me suspect that some common MUA out there is
playing fast and loose with the HTML and/or MIME standards when it (or
they) generate HTML messages.  Wouldn't that be a surprise?

One should also admit the possibility also exists that "VM 7.19 under Emacs 21.3.1" is not handling some aspect of MIME properly. One should also consider that there may be a reasonable difference in interpretation of the standards. That last is always a good thing to keep in mind. Anyone who's done anything with IPsec knows you can follow the standards to the letter and still not talk to anyone. :-(

The following quote applies to this discussion (I also find it is often good advice for life in general):

  "Be conservative in what you do; be liberal in what you accept."
                           -- Jon Postel, "The Robustness Principle"
                              RFC-793 ("TCP"), Section 2.10

-- Ben "I like quotes" Scott