>From what I've read, DVD-R is more reliable over time due to the
layering... the data is on a layer near the center of the disc rather
than on the top surface as it is on a CD-R.  Also, those I know who
use this for long-term backups seal them in plastic with one of those
silica gel packets (DO NOT EAT) and then refrigerate them.  (Sealed in
plastic with one of those plastic-bag melt sealers, for a good seal,
or ziplock for more convenience with less paranoia.)

Also the manufacturer matters, more for CD than for DVD, but still
matters.  I just wish Kodak still made their "archival quality" CD-R's
with the extra scratch protection layer.

--Drew Van Zandt