Ben Scott wrote:

 Security: I've never seen a properly administered Exchange server
get "owned" or anything like that.  The security issues are all on the
client side.
Actually I've had to repair several, however, it is unclear to me that they were "properly administered" since we were brought it to deal with the problem that the in-house administrator for each couldn't. ;-) There have been several security flaws which went unpatched for quite a few months, during which, even a properly administered server could have been "owned."

 Exception: OWA (Outlook Web Access) is a big exposure

Definitely isolate it from the rest.

But, as Ben Scott said,

 That being said, if the IT department already pays for all of that,
the cost issues evaporate.  That sounds like what Mr. VP is saying:
Why are we paying for email when we could get it "for free"?  If it's
IT's problem, then it doesn't matter *what* they're running on the server.
That all becomes IT's problem. It only becomes Engineering's problem again if IT flubs it somehow. As long as IT provides an acceptable SLA for Engineering (one that Engineering is willing to live with, at least), then the problems are no longer Engineering's, which can then focus on Engineering tasks.

If the IMAP server is business critical to Engineering (and who *doesn't* feel email is business critical nowadays :-), perhaps in the SLA you can posit a backup IMAP server for Engineering to become active if Exchange goes out. As IT would be providing that to comply with the SLA, it likely wouldn't be a Cyrus IMAP server, of course.

--
Dan Jenkins ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951