Ok...I have come to the conclusion that a USB solution in my price
range is probably not going to work under Linux.  The devices I am
finding all appear to need Win-only software to function and often do
not even appear as an attached device. I found one discussion of the
Hauppauge USB solution being used under LInux, but that's at the outer
bounds of my price range and the discussion complained of a lot of
dropped frames.  So...

I will probably go with a PCI card solution.  I am leaning toward
Hauppauge because, as mentioned, they have a good rep under MythTV
discussions and other Linux-support chats. Now I'm just trying to
decide if there's a valid reason to bypass the PV-150 ( which I see
people mention as getting in the < $100 range ) or go with the 250.
The 250 has a better software bundle but that doesn't matter to me and
the specs LOOK identical as far as capture goes.

Does anyone have personal experience ( or at least second-hand
experience ) between the 150 and 250 that they could share?