On Feb 10, 2006, at 09:36, Steven W. Orr wrote:

It is a better mailinglist manager.

Fill in here the ways mailman is insufficient for our use or things that Majordomo would let us do that we can't.

It suffers from not getting enough use
compared to what Mailman was able to achieve with Red Hat having been the
promoter.

I remember when Mailman was new and we all jumped at the chance to get away from majordomo. That's why Redhat included it. I was just debugging a Majordomo setup for a client last week and bemoaned that they weren't on mailman, which I've found much easier to setup and customize. For their setup Majordomo didn't offer any benefits, but maybe they exist for other requirements.

I use it here on syslang for the dozen odd lists I run. My
biggest list is about 800 people and it works really well.

FYI, mailman scales to about 10K per list. After that 'python pickles' get in the way and it falls apart. I've done some research lately for a client with a 120K customer mailing list and the solution seems to be to use the mysql backend to avoid python pickles. You can also chain 'umbrella lists' but that's somewhat of a hack. Mailman 3 is also listed as a solution but that appears to be vapor, currently aimed at being a Zope personality. My goodness.

Reply-To set to gnhlug-sysadmin, where this discussion should be now.

-Bill
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Cell: 603.252.2606
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/