On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 15:57 -0500, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> This is not technical incompetence. This is a decision that's being
> made, which has numerous reasonable reasons behind it

Blocking port 25 is expedient.  I'd hesitate to call it reasonable.

> -- the largest
> being that most mail going out to port 25 from residential connections
> *is* either spam or an exploited machine, as most users run Windows,
> and
> Windows does not use an smtpd running on localhost to send out mail
> (at
> least, not in most cases).

That's really just an excuse for not knowing the customers and their
needs.  Port blocking, inbound and outbound can be a legitimate part of
the service.  Inbound blocking provides a firewall.  Outbound blocking
protects the "neighborhood" from incompetence.  However, the
unwillingness to customize and tailor the service to fit customer needs
is mostly laziness and the expectation that they can get away with it.

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp