> So I'm thinking that maybe successful acceptance of OpenOffice.org requires
 > us getting it into the school systems.

   I agree completely.  And a complicating factor is that many computer
"teachers" aren't really teaching computer sci or generic computing concepts,
but instead they're teaching Windows and MS apps.  I've seen far, far too
many teachers which, when confronted with a Mac or any app other than the
standard one they use, will be absolutely lost.

   The resistance I've found is not at the school board level.  Boards will
query whether OOo or free software is popular enough in the "business world"
to teach to kids (a semi-legit question), but the dollars and cents angle
swings the board every time.  The actual resistance I've seen will come from
the local computer teachers.  Add to that the "if it doesn't cost anything it
can't be worth anything" assumption (heavily ingrained in the educational
bureaucracy) and converting public schools is difficult.

 Regards,
 .
 Randy

--
"If this war is so righteous, why don't you send your children?" -- Mother of
dead GI Susan Niederer to First Lady Laura Bush (Bush didn't answer).