On Mar 13, 2006, at 15:18, Christopher Schmidt wrote:

So, although most of the computer related classes - Desktop Publishing,
Word Processing, etc. - were taught on relatively modern machines
running a recent windows version, the Computer Science courses were
taught on the oldest computers in the school (for student use anyway).

My high school taught Pascal on Z/80 machines running CPM when those were 'out of date'. I think they'd still be fine for learning Pascal. Heck, I learned assembly on a VIC 20 (3583 BYTES FREE) and the concepts are still the same today. I'm still not convinced children ought to jump straight into Java as their first language - it offers enough of a library that you tend to do more engineering and less CS (exponentiation built-in!).

If anyone has influence in high schools I recommend the ACSL:

  http://www.acsl.org

as a good opportunity for learning CS in high school. I went to a tiny high school in central NJ but we still managed to place in the top five nationally for several years. A good teacher is essential (thanks, Jack DeValue!).

As for job postings requiring Microsoft Word and Excel - in 1990 they probably required WordStar and Lotus 1-2-3!

-Bill
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Cell: 603.252.2606
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/