>> My own personal experience has been that I have the best luck of all
>> with the player "xine".
>
> Got it.  Either of these works pretty well:
>
> xine -V xshm valles3d.mpg mplayer -vo x11 valles3d.mpg

Interesting -- my two favorite players are vlc and mplayer.  At least on
my system, VLC seems to have the nicest set of features, overall, but
mplayer is the best at CODECs, and being able to run at full speed.  Xine
usually is pretty bad, sometimes approaching "slideshow" mode.  Note,
however, that I've got the world's coolest screen -- plugged into the
world's worst video card.  (SGI 1600sw into a Number 9 Revolution card.)
Anything even approaching full screen simply sucks, regardless of player.

-Ken