On 3/22/06, Bill Freeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         I've got a box with the iso files on it, mounted via the loop
> back device, and vsftpd running behind my router.

  Is your router between the FTP server and the FTP client?  Is the
router performing NAT and/or firewall duty?  If so, that could be the
cause of your problem, *if* Knoppix is using PASV (passive mode FTP)
while Anaconda is using PORT (active mode FTP), *and* the router isn't
fully aware of FTP's dual TCP connections.

>         My current theory is that the installer can't take an IP
> address as the server "name".

  It has been years since I've done a Red Hat install via FTP, but
back in the RHL 6.x days, a numeric IP address worked.

  The Google search

http://www.google.com/search?q=fedora+install+ftp+%22ip+address%22

finds plenty of pages that suggest you can use a numeric IP address
with current Fedora Core.

>         Or (most likely) am I missing something obvious?

  If it truly was obvious, we wouldn't be missing it.  Don't confuse
"simple" with "obvious".  :)

-- Ben