I just want to mention that eventhough the OP was looking for a source code
tool to help him understand the code, the Intel C++ compiler tends to do a
much better job of optimizing C++ code than the current version of G++ does
(although there is now a GCC optimization project going on).
Last year I ran a set of benchmarks using the Intel compiler, and achieved a
nearly 40% improvement over GCC/G++. You can download and use the Intel
compiler free of charge for non-commercial use, or use the evaluation
version. I am currently working on a project that has well over 1,000,000
lines of C++ code + a couple of small YACC parsers.
--
Jerry Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Boston Linux and Unix user group