I've read perhaps two-dozen books on beekeeping, but the vast majority of
my experience was accrued as an actual beekeeper, in talking with
beekeepers (yes, beekeepers have meetings, too), in hanging out with
beekeepers, subscribing to beekeeping magazines, and, lastly, in taking
short courses in beekeeping.  Alas, I haven't done any beekeeping since I
moved to NH, and I'm now somewhat rusty (eg., the amount I know about the
relatively recent plague of mites is pretty small, and I have no idea as
to the current state of the Africanized bee incursion).  Nevertheless, for
a while there, I probably qualified as an "expert;" I even briefly flirted
with the idea of pursuing entemology.

In other words, I have to agree: books are great.  And, for computer
folks, essential: there's just too much that needs reference.  (Eg., if I
were to switch from three-banded Italian honeybees (the "default" honeybee
in North America) to, say, grey caucasian honeybees, I don't imagine that
too much would change.  If one wants to switch from writing VB on Windows
to Java on Linux, it's time to hit them books.)  But books are far from
the only way to learn stuff, especially when it's something that's not
academic in nature.

As a side note, one of Maddog's favorite sites to visit, Brazil, is
responsible for Africanized honeybees (a/k/a "Killer Bees"); they were
released to the wild in 1956 during some hybridization experiments;
whether this was accidental, or "accidental," is still a matter of debate.

-Ken (who's finally recovering from a damn bronchitis episode, and trying
to catch up with his e-mail... backwards.)

P.S.  Get me drunk, and I'll even quote beekeeper poetry to ya'. ;-)