On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 09:20:14AM -0500, Paul Lussier wrote:
> I'm a big fan of consistency. Call the package what the package is.
> httpd is not the name of the software, that would be apache.

Er... I don't think I agree with you. The name of the software is
"Apache HTTP Server". Saying that the name of the software is Apache is
ignoring the fact that there are about 40 other projects equally capable
of taking the name 'Apache': Everything from 'Apache Jackrabbit' to
'Apache Xalan'. "Apache" is totally non-specific, and I've had people
tell me they have 'Apache' running when what they really have running is
Tomcat.

This confusion obviously sucks, but I don't think someone can claim that
either Debian or Red Hat is in the right here, since neither calls it
apache-httpd :)

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt