On Feb 8, 2007, at 9:04 AM, Randy Edwards wrote:
I'm debating putting up a family web site. Like most families, ours is
scattered geographically and it's hard to keep track of all the aunts,
uncles, cousins, nieces, etc.

A web site for this seems like a no-brainer. And I'm sure some people have
written software to accomplish the "normal" tasks.

A general-purpose content management system would let you have forums for chat, a calendar, a photo gallery, news items, rss feeds, etc. Lock it down with authentication and let them use it as they wish. Most of the top CMS have pretty granular security, so you can keep private what should be private while still allowing enough of the site to be visible to the web that far-flung relatives might be able to Google you and join in the discussion. A few years ago, I posted scans of my grandmother's photo album that my dad had organized, and it was delightful making contact with my many relations in Nova Scotia and across Canada.

Coincidentally, Guy Pardoe is doing a presentation on Joomla!, one of the top dozen contenders (along with Xaraya, that GNHLUG member Jonathan Linowes presented last year [1]) this very evening in Peterborough:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.linux.gnhlug/8437

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/gnhlug-discuss@mail.gnhlug.org/ msg13305.html

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC