On 2/17/07, Jason Stephenson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Typical end users as defined before don't really care about the
differences. As long as they can do more or less what they want to do
with the computer, they won't really notice the difference.

 I think you and I actually agree.  I'm not saying
people-doing-ordinary-tasks-like-reading-email-browsing-the-web-writing-letters-looking-at-pictures-and-calculating-their-taxes
actually care about memory models or address word size or any of that
crap.  They generally don't.  Ignoramuses might get into penis-length
contests because 64 is bigger than 32, but that's about it.

 However,
people-doing-ordinary-tasks-like-reading-email-browsing-the-web-writing-letters-looking-at-pictures-and-calculating-their-taxes
do care about what they can do with their pee cee.  There are things
they can do on a 32-bit machine which they cannot do on a 16-bit
machine.  They don't understand why, but they know they can play
digital music while writing a term paper on their new Dell, while
their old Apple ][ or IBM-PC Model 5150 couldn't handle that.

I'm not going to argue that 64 bits won't make a difference, just that
typical home and office users won't notice until it enables something
that no one has done before, or not done well.

 Right.  Exactly.  I'm wondering what those things might be.  What
will x86-64 let
people-doing-ordinary-tasks-like-reading-email-browsing-the-web-writing-letters-looking-at-pictures-and-calculating-their-taxes
do that the limitations of their x86-32 computer prevented them from
doing?

Eventually, you won't be able to buy mainstream hardware with anything
less than 64 bit CPUs, and from looking at the latest Dell PC Catalogs
that I get, that time appears to be now or very soon.

 Indeed, that is very much happening.  It's practically impossible to
buy an IBM-PC-compatible these days that is not x86-64 capable.  Some
laptops are about the only exceptions.  So the hardware is there.

 However, most of them are still running a 32-bit OS.  Be it Windows
or Linux or Mac OS, most of the installations are still 32-bit, even
if the OS has a 64-bit variant available.  In the 'doze world, this is
largely because of the support and compatibility nightmares described
previously.  64-bit Windows causes lots and lots of problems, and
there's currently very little benefit to be had by
people-doing-ordinary-tasks-like-reading-email-browsing-the-web-writing-letters-looking-at-pictures-and-calculating-their-taxes.

 So, from that standpoint, the 64-bit potential for the
people-doing-ordinary-tasks-like-reading-email-browsing-the-web-writing-letters-looking-at-pictures-and-calculating-their-taxes
market is still untapped.

 Now, let's just say, hypothetically, that something materializes in
the Linux world which needs a 64-bit system to work, and is also
compelling to
people-doing-ordinary-tasks-like-reading-email-browsing-the-web-writing-letters-looking-at-pictures-and-calculating-their-taxes.
Maybe it's a really cool fully-immersive VR world (which will, of
course, immediately be used for sexual purposes).  If it's only
available for Linux, then suddenly,
people-doing-ordinary-tasks-like-reading-email-browsing-the-web-writing-letters-looking-at-pictures-and-calculating-their-taxes
will have a *compelling reason* to check Linux out.  And maybe, just
maybe, they'll discover all the other benefits of FLOSS while they're
at it.

 That's a so-called "killer app".  Entire industries have risen and
fallen on such things in the past.  As long as Windows sucks at x86-64
and Linux doesn't suck at x86-64, this question will remain very
interesting to me.

 Am I the only one (aside from, perhaps, ESR) who thinks this way?

-- Ben