> Yes, there are uses for 64 bit address space, just as a 128 bit address
> space would enable use to tackle unthinkable problems.

I do not think a "128 bit address space" computer will ever exist, at
least not in the silicon technologies that we are talking about.

Just to take advantage of a 64-bit address space you would probably have
to have all of the disks ever made put together into one system.

For a processor to simply touch each byte of a 64-bit address space,
running at 4 GHz would take about 4 billion seconds (or about 126
years).

I think I read someplace that 128 bits would allow you to address every
Proton and neutron in the known universe, but I doubt that (a little).

While 8, 16 and even 32 bits caused most programmers some pain from time
to time, I think 64 bits has enough address space to keep even Dr. Knuth
happy for a while.

md