For somebody whose CS isn't as rusty as mine - I think one should be able to setup a dedicated process to watch a repo and build graphs of dependencies and preemptively find this kind of breakage. Comments?

Yes, you probably could, but that's what the million monkeys on the Internet are doing for you when they install stuff and it doesn't work. In this case, people are cheaper than software.

Without disagreeing with your points about how open source is
"supposed to work", I think doing better repo quality control
would be a good direction for things to go.  There doesn't seem
much point in letting a repo get into a inconsistent state and
letting that flow downstream....

Nigel