On 3/21/07, Tom Buskey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
What do you want?  A computer you can carry around with you?  Or something
to carry around w/ your data until you can get to a real computer?

 Ideally the former, but I'll settle for the latter if that's the
only way to get good handheld functionality.  My primary goal is
memory augmentation.  Something that can remember my appointments and
contacts and other bits of information for me.  That's why PIM
functionality is so critical for my purposes.  I don't care if it can
run emacs or SSH or a web browser if it sucks as a calendar.  Those
other things would be cool, but PIM is a requirement.

 The ability to use it as a handheld -- i.e., *in my hand* -- is also
critical.  I want something I can whip out at a moment's notice, to
jot down that cool URL or book someone just told me about, or add an
appointment or to-do.

 I was *really* hoping to hear the Zaurus was good at this stuff, but
it sounds like that's not the case.  :-(

Palm is what you use until you get to a real computer.

 It amuses me greatly that a unit with a 200 MHz processor, 32
megabytes of RAM, and a high DPI, high color screen isn't considered a
"real computer" anymore.  :-)

 My current handheld is a Sony Clie PEG-TG50 running Palm OS.  It's
the best handheld I've ever used.  I love the backlit keyboard.  I use
it for all my PIM stuff.  But it is literally being held together with
tape at this point.  The IR is dead, the thumbwheel broke off, it's
ready to go to that big eBay in the sky.  :-)

 You can still buy them on eBay, etc., and I'm sorely temped.  But
Sony killed the whole Clie line a year or two ago.  I'm loathe to buy
such a dead end product.  Even Palm, stagnant as they are, beats that.

 Based on feedback I've gotten here, and what I've read elsewhere,
I'm thinking a Palm Z22 or E2 will be the way I go.

--
"One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel / And the next it's rolling over me"
                                                 -- Rush, "Far Cry"