On 3/22/07, Brian Chabot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"Browsing time: up to 3 hours"

What's up with PDAs, UMPCs, and even laptops these days and the severe
lack of battery life?

 Partly increased CPU and RAM to run the latest bloatware.

 Mostly the display backlight and radios.  That backlight sucks juice
like crazy.  It's a big lightbulb.  Leave a flashlight on for three
hours and see how it works.  And then the radios.  Some of these
gadgets have a multi-band cell telephone radio, an 802.11 radio, and a
Bluetooth radio.  It's a wonder the room lights don't flicker from the
RFI.

I can use (yes, USE) my Handspring Visor for days before the battery
goes out.

 Back in the days of the original Palm and Handspring units, which
had 16 MHz processors and normally unlit screens, I could go a month
or two on a single pair of AAA (?) batteries.

-- Ben

--
"One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel / And the next it's rolling over me"
                                                 -- Rush, "Far Cry"