O 23 Mar 2007 22:20:24 -0400, Kevin D. Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> >
>   Holy crap!  Where's Perl's oft-decried extreme conciseness?  ;-)

My solution comes from my experience, and I was going for correctness,
portability, and clarity, in that order.

 I can't resist pointing out that Perl isn't a guaranteed on Unix
systems, either.  ;-)

By the way, did you forget to add "--binary-files=without-match" to
your solution?  The original poster asked for text files only.

 Yes.  As Bill Freeman pointed out, I also left out the search
pattern!  (I was cut-and-pasting from an xterm where I was actually
testing things, so I'm not sure how I managed to do that, but I guess
I found a way.)  They need to build a script interpreter into email.
;-)  Oh wait, Microsoft already did, it was called "Outlook 2000" and
we know how that turned out..

--
"One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel / And the next it's rolling over me"
                                                 -- Rush, "Far Cry"