On Wednesday 25 April 2007 17:10:15 Michael ODonnell wrote:
> > I can definitely confirm that my core 2 quad system has no HT
> > available to turn on in the bios (but does show ht in the cpuflags,
> > which aligns with other comments in the thread).
>
> I've heard it suggested several times now that features
> like HyperThreading can be enabled or disabled "in the BIOS"
> and I don't understand how that can be possible.  AFAIK a CPU
> either does or doesn't have a given feature and there's nothing
> (short of modifying the CPU's microcode) that any BIOS can do
> to "disable" it, at least not in any way that would prevent a
> capable OS from doing as it pleased once it was booted.  So,
> what's the story?

I don't know the specifics, but its definitely possible to disabled HT, as
well as a core or cores of a cpu or cpus at the bios level. The bios in my
Dell Precision 490 workstation has options for both.

I know in some cases, the linux kernel will spit an error that says "we think
you have this support, but its disabled in the bios". (The specific case that
comes to mind is hardware virtualization support, for which my bios also has
a toggle).

--
Jarod Wilson