On Tuesday 22 May 2007 14:31:20 Tom Buskey wrote:
> On 5/22/07, Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >   Be aware that, with MythTV, you need a capture device (i.e., tuner
> > card) per simultaneous recording, and there are limits to how much
> > stuff you can stuff down a PCI bus.  Four simultaneous recordings may
> > be pushing it on anything but a high-end PC.  But one dandy thing
> > about MythTV is that you can have as many boxes as you want, sharing
> > recordings via network.
> >
> >   (Aside #1: You can do that with the Series 2 TiVo boxes, too, but
> > they had to disable it in the high def Series 3 to get CableLabs
> > approval.  Ick.)
>
> And the Series 2 TiVo units top out with 100 Mb/s ethernet to USB
> 2.0adapters.  MythTV can use Gigabit ethernet.  And MythTV can
> automatically strip commercials.

And let me just add that MythWeb ROCKS in the current development trunk. Has a
new flash player embedded, and if you have enough heft on the backend, it can
transcode even hdtv recordings down to a suitably sized flv stream. I now
have a solution for watching baseball games in the office without paying
mlb.com...

Next up: figure out how to proxy it and rebroadcast it throughout the office,
since there are several of us that wanna watch... :)

--
Jarod Wilson