On 5/22/07, Thomas Charron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   It is a good point.  If it was available on demand, I might consider it.

http://shopping.discovery.com/category-1_VIDEODOWNLOADS.html?jzid=40600404-2-0

  As I wrote earlier, this is getting closer.  It's not here yet, but closer.

>>   The problem is, I cannot even watch it by myself.  Regardless of the
>> legality of me not being able to watch it, I'm not going to pay to not
>> be able to watch it.
>
>   But how can they allow you do watch it whenever you want, and
> disallow someone to distribute it for free without paying ANYTHING for
> it?

  I don't necessarily have the answers to their quandaries.  I just
know that I'm not going to pay to not be able to watch something.

  One option for them is to just not worry about the copiers.  Offer
people a reasonable product at a reasonable price, and ask them not to
screw you.  Assume honest people will be honest, and assume thieves
will continue to be thieves.  Putting restrictions on the content just
discourages honest people (like me) from giving them my money for
their product.  At the same time, the thieves haven't really been
effected much.  So it's a net loss for the content authors  Or so the
theory goes.

  One problem with the above scenario is that a significant part of
the media cartel are themselves in the business of screwing people.
They typify the worst sorts of greed.  For them to turn around and ask
people be honest is a hard sell.  As the saying goes, there is no
honor among thieves...

> You can't say a TV show can charge for support..

  Don't give them any ideas!  ;-)

-- Ben