On 07/09/2007 11:14 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a bunch of fairly high-end servers, all with dual dual-core Xeon
> processors. Xeon's are supposed to be 64-bit processors, but they are all
> running i386 kernels. I want to download the appropriate Debian distribution
> for these boxes to enable 64-bit processing. Do I need the ia64, the amd64,
> or something else?

As others have said, you want the amd64 version.  The kernels are
unified now, so the same kernel will work on an amd64 or em64t system.
Same as all other applications.

If you have a need for running 32-bit apps, I *highly* recommend you get
the 32-bit library package and install it under /emul/ia32-linux (dpkg
-X foo.deb /emul/ia32-linux ; ldconfig) as you'll be able to then run
32-bit apps without requiring a chroot environment.  It makes updating a
bit harder, but I think it's worth it.

-Mark