On 7/9/07, Jarod Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I find the use of 'amd64' for package arch in debian/ubuntu/derivatives...
> well, dumb and confusing for end-users who don't know any better (as
> evidenced by the existence of this thread).

  Blame Intel.  Intel *insisted*, *at length*, *loudly*, that Itanium,
dubbed "IA-64", was the wave of the future, and that IA-32 was a dead
end.  Given the "IA-64" moniker being so similar to "x86-64", and
given that AMD was supposedly the only one doing that stuff, I think
using "AMD64" to differentiate from "IA-64" is very reasonable.  So
that's what Debian did.

  When Intel changed their tune, Debian decided they weren't about to
rename an entire target architecture in their build tree just because
Intel had its corporate head up its corporate ass, and I don't blame
them.  (Ubuntu follows suit because it's derived from Debian.)

  I almost (*almost*) wish Intel had made good on their threats to
kill x86.  They've done little but confuse this whole situation
considerably, while stealing credit from AMD.  Intel also killed the
DEC Alpha in the process, which is just a damn shame.  It would have
been nice to have Intel get their comeuppance.  But that would just
replace Intel-dominance with AMD-dominance, and that would be just as
unhealthy in the long run.  "Absolute power corrupts absolutely" and
all that.

-- Ben