On Monday 09 July 2007 14:22:27 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> From: Jarod Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > I find the use of 'amd64' for package arch in
> > debian/ubuntu/derivatives... well, dumb and confusing for end-users who
> > don't know any better (as evidenced by the existence of this thread).
> >
> > I presume Debian jumped on building 64-bit packages for the AMD64
> > architecture before Intel announced their 64-bit x86-compatible chips,
> > and decided to call the packages amd64. The lack of planning and
> > foresight there is amusing. Unless of course its an intentional F-U to
> > Intel... In which case, its amusing in a different way, but still stupid
> > if you care about end-users.
> >
> > (Nb: Red Hat and SUSE generally use x86_64 as the arch for AMD64 and
> > EM64T alike)
>
> Debian has this to say on the matter:
> https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html#
>id250846
>
> The jist is, it used to be x86-64, then it was amd64, but x86_64 is still
> used. Now doesn't that just clear everything up? :-)

...only that seems in correct, from my recollection. I seem to recall amd64
being called x86_64 originally. Intel's implementation was then announced as
x86-64. (note the _ vs. the - ). After that, AMD went with amd64 to
differentiate more. But in any case, I still think x86_64 makes a lot more
sense than amd64 for the arch tag on stuff that runs on both Intel and AMD
64-bit x86-compatible architectures.

--
Jarod Wilson