On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 03:45:53PM -0400, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> Now, and this is really rusty, I think there's a way to read the JPEG
> DCT matrix and rotate a JPEG without recompressing,

There is, provided the image geometry meets certain sensible
parameters that I don't remember off the top of my head.  The
tool I use for this is called 'jpegtran', available from
http://www.ijg.org/ if it isn't included with your distribution of
choice.

> and mencoder _might_ know how to do that, but it would have to be
> special-cased.  If anybody remembers what software could do that,
> and you could somehow split the .mov into its constituent JPEG
> frames and soundtrack, and then re-assemble them... well, major
> geek points and probably unwarranted for a home movie. :)

If each frame in the .mov file is really a full JPEG image, you'll
almost certainly want to recode it into a better format for video
anyway.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          OpenPGP KeyID 0x57C3430B
Holder of Past Knowledge           CS, O-