"Ben Scott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>   At that point, the hard part is finding a *terminal* that supports a
> local line editing mode.  I think there might be an xterm or rxvt
> option somewhere for this.  Maybe on one of the [CTRL]+click menus?

I checked my default xterm menus and didn't see anything like this.
There could be one you can turn on with a config option that I'm not
aware of do to having never had the need.

> (I'm not at an xterm right now.)

Huh.  I can't remember a time in my life when I've responded to an
e-mail for which the above statement would be true for me :)

(Well, there was that one time I attempted to respond to an e-mail
using my cell phone.  I don't do that anymore :)

>   Then the hardest part is trying to figure out how to use "ed" to
> edit text files.

The same way you'd use vi to edit text files if you were blind-folded :)

--
Seeya,
Paul