> Except that WMA ain't free or Free, either.
>
>   My guess would be incompetence on the part of Verizon; they knew
> they wanted to be able to charge to play MP3s, so they disabled that,
> but didn't know what WMA was so left that alone.

I doubt that even Verizon is that incompetent.

As long as we are guessing, I would guess that they somehow got the
license for WMA for free, even if WMA is not Free.  Or they somehow
convinced themselves that they needed the WMA technology to create their
boops and bleeps and ringtones for the phone, and so paid for the
technology that people would least want, freeing their customers to pay
for the technology that they really wanted (mp3).  Hmmm, this is an
offshoot of the Microsoft model....

Never vote for incompetence when pure evil will also explain it. :-}

md
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(R)

Board Member: Uniforum Association
Board Member Emeritus: USENIX Association (2000-2006)

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several
countries.
(R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA used
pursuant
   to a license from Linux Mark Institute, authorized licensor of Linus
   Torvalds, owner of the Linux trademark on a worldwide basis
(R)UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other
   countries.