On 10/17/07, Bill McGonigle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Additionally please send email either to the listserv or to the poster
>> you are replying to, but not both.
>
> Au contraire, please send messages to both me and the mailing list.

  Au contraire contraire, please do not.  Abuse of "Reply All" causes
List Header Cancer!

  List Header Cancer: The disease where the "Cc" header in a thread
grows larger and larger as everyone who has ever participated in the
thread gets added to the "Cc" list by people who blindly hit "Reply
All" for every message they send.

  What's *really* fun is when someone who has no interest in the
thread (anymore), and is not (or no longer) on the mailing list is
still in the "Cc" header.  Essentially, they are forced to receive all
of the mail in that thread until it ends.  For a list like LKML, where
threads can go on for months and total hundreds of messages, that
verges on abuse from the "Reply All" crowd.  Not typically a problem
here, of course (unless we're discussing toll booths), but the point
stands.

> I would have responded earlier but my gnhlug-only mail is filtered
> (if I'm in the header it goes right to my inbox), so I didn't see it

  So use a mail program that supports thread watching.  Or just skip
mail when you're busy -- I frequently have to do that.  It's not
everyone else's problem you're too bus to read the list.  And the
"Send it to me too" solution doesn't work either, since you'll miss
traffic from other people who are replying.  Yes, it is your
obligation to read the threads you participate in.  That's what makes
this a discussion list instead of a blog.  :-)

-- Ben

--
DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed in the above are the personal opinions of the
author, and do not necessarily represent the views or policy of GNHLUG, or