> Any I've missed?  If I ever have children they're definitely going to
> have easy access LEGO and random electronic components.

Rubber-band powered airplanes made of balsa and tissue paper (today the
tissue paper is sometimes replaced with ultra-thin plastic, which can
actually be made by spreading liquid plastic on top of water).  This is
not just a "kid thing", as many adults like building these too.

Small radio-control units can now be purchased for a small amount of
money and re-used over and over again if the plane (or boat or car)
"lands right" (or even "at all").

For that matter, paper airplanes have many designs, and orgami is a
great art to practice, as you can entertain people at almost any time
with a few scraps of paper.

And kites made from bamboo and paper.  Start them now and use them this
spring.

All of these flying, floating things need physics and math.

Many years ago Popular Mechanics published a book called "The Boy
Mechanic" that had hundreds of pages of projects from the very simple to
the very complex of things for children to build from everyday
components.  When I was in grade school I borrowed the book many times
from the library, and eventually bought a used copy when I was in
college.

One project, however, was how to build a hot-air balloon out of tissue
paper.  From personal experience I recommend adult supervision on that
one....

That book (unfortunately) has been out of print for many, many years,
but here is another book along the same lines that I would recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Boys-Handy-Book-Nonpareil/dp/0879234490/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product

a reprint of Dan Beard's book: "The American Boy's Handy Book: What to
Do and How to Do It"  While Lord Baden-Powell was the originator of Boy
Scouts, Dan Beard was the movement's heart.

Not to be outdone, there was a companion book for girls published by his
wife:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0879236663/ref=pd_luc_0000215881650940879236663

actually, the set would be good for any family.

Like music?  Go beyond just the ipod....get an old 78 record and show
them the grooves.  Pluck a string and show them the harmonics.  Get them
involved with midi, electronic music.  Lots of cool software for audio
on Linux.

md
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(R)

Board Member: Uniforum Association
Board Member Emeritus: USENIX Association (2000-2006)

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several
countries.
(R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA used
pursuant
   to a license from Linux Mark Institute, authorized licensor of Linus
   Torvalds, owner of the Linux trademark on a worldwide basis
(R)UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other
   countries.