On Feb 5, 2008, at 09:24, Dan Coutu wrote:

> They used to use 30Gb tapes but now that the servers are bigger
> this doesn't work. Minimum capacity for the smallest system is 80Gb
> and the largest system requires ~200Gb to backup everything onto a
> single medium. I've tried to use the Iomega REV autoloader as  a
> solution and it sort of but not quite works. In other words it
> isn't reliable, you can't count on it to work every single time.
> The thing seems tempermental in that it sometimes wedges the SCSI
> bus. Not useful.

My goodness.  I saw exactly the same situation at another shop.
Small techno-world :)

My suggestion to them was to use a RAID-10 with one half on removable
disks and swap among 3 mirror sets, keeping two offsite, or at least
one in transit.  e.SATA lets you use S.M.A.R.T so you can know if a
drive is ailing.

I then run rsnapshot over these.  rsync3 with the renamed-files patch
is the cat's pajamas.

This is basically how I have my internal backups structured.  That
job spec is still hung up in purchasing or something...

-Bill

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Cell: 603.252.2606
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/