On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 11:20:57PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > From: "Mark E. Mallett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 20:24:03 -0500
>
> > On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 12:03:08PM -0500, amc wrote:
> > > The only bad thing about rockbox is it support for video. it is weak for
> > > video. has anyone had good luck with it for video ?
> >
> > The allure of watching videos on the itty screen eludes me (I must be
> > too old), so I haven't yet tried it.  Perhaps I will just for kicks..
>
> It's done for the same three reasons that every cell phone has the
> game Snakes on it:
>
>  (1) It can be done,
>  (2) It's cool, and
>  (3) It gives people something to "plug-in" to rather than have to
>      live in reality.  (Which is often just another way of saying #2,
>      "It's cool.")

:-)

Well, I exaggerated anyway.  I am interested in storing some photos and
videos on the device (e.g., of work or personal interest).  Photos work
well, and I did download the sample "elephants dream" video from
rockbox.org and put it on the Sansa and it plays just fine.  I haven't
tried encoding any video for it myself, but the process seems
straightforward and I assume it will work.  Still, the inconvenience
factors (like effort required and size of screen) would keep me from
using it for most new content, but that's just me, in this particular
snapshot of time and equipment.

mm