On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 10:16 -0500, Ben Scott wrote:
(I agree with Ben, but am adding a little commentary.)
> On Feb 11, 2008 8:55 AM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have a Win XP machine that is terribly infested (Ugh!)

>   The only way to say for sure is to boot from trusted media and run
> your investigations from there.

I've had some success over the years with Knoppix and now Fedora Live
CD's.  You'll need enough ram to update the virus scanning software and
signature files and will need to enable write access to the Windows
filesystem.

The last time someone brought me a problem Windows box, its scans
pronounced it clean, but monitoring the network showed lots of
extraneous traffic.

Clam flagged the swap file (pagefile.sys), among others (which the
windows scan had also reported and cleaned).  After removing the swap
file and scrubbing the other files, the system booted cleanly in Windows
and no problem traffic was detected on the network.

> > While my last and most effective option is to wipe drive and
> reinstall
> > Windoze, ...
>
>   I'd argue your last and most effective option is to wipe the drive
> and install Linux.  I'm not being a wise-guy, either.  Generally
> speaking, there are satisfactory solutions for most of the "But I need
> Windows ..." objections, and Linux can make one's life a lot better.
> Big companies have to worry about all sorts of inertia, but
> single-users can often switch easily.
>
>   This group is full of people eager to help with such endevors.

A couple of years ago when my daughter complained about having her
computer infested yet again, she finally agreed to try Linux.  That's
worked OK.  It took a while to get the media stuff working to her
satisfaction (watching DVD's, playing MP3 files, etc.), stuff I'd never
been terribly concerned about.

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp