From: "Bill McGonigle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Warren Luebkeman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Benjamin Scott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Greater NH Linux User Group" <gnhlug-discuss@mail.gnhlug.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:41:25 PM (GMT-0500) America/New_York
Subject: Re: server uptime

On Mar 19, 2008, at 15:36, Ben Scott wrote:

>   You're obviously not installing all your security updates, then.
> Both the 2.4 and 2.6 Debian kernels have had security advisories
> posted within the past two years.

Hey, it's possible that Warren's kernel is so old that he doesn't
suffer from the vmslice() exploit. :)

Seriously, though - check.  If `uname -r` >= 2.6.17,  vmsplice() plus
one (e.g.) PHP bug = remote root exploit.  That's bad, mmmkay?

Perhaps more importantly you're not picking up ext3 bugfixes, the CQF
elevator, etc.

And somebody around here actually found an old Netware box running in
a closet that had been drywalled over 5 years before.  It was
apparently still serving files and print jobs (they traced the
ethernet cable).

-Bill

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Cell: 603.252.2606
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/

Warren Luebkeman
Founder, COO
Resara LLC