>>  Well, if we assume the computer is offline (which we've been asked
>> to do)... and the software isn't on the drive... what good is having
>> the search engine data going to do?  :)
>
>   Umm, I don't see that requirement anywhere in the thread.  Did I
> miss something?

I probably should have been more clear:

The intended use is to have a portable library of information with a
searchable index.  Such library needs to have a search client that is at
least Win/Lin/Mac compatible.  The indexing software should at least run
in Linux (for my convenience...).

Think of it as an unsorted compilation of tech manuals, marketing texts,
reviews, etc. which can be brought to where it is needed (or replicated
and sent) and used by non-technical users to retrieve data as needed.
The end users would be remotely located often with no Internet access at
all.

Security risk?  Sure.  But manageable by controlling the original media,
rather than just blindly sharing the drive.

>>  You may be willing to take that risk.  Indeed, many apparently are
>> willing to do so, or (more likely) are unaware of the risk they take.
>> I, however, am not so comfortable.  Maybe I'm paranoid, but then, on
>> today's Internet, there really are people out to get you...

The offline nature does significantly mitigate the risk.

There is a possibility of putting the library (and application and
index) on read-only media such as one or more DVD's once the data is
relatively un-changing.

Brian