I've got a number of VHS tapes I'd like to convert to MPEG2.

I have a Pinnacle USB2 PRO (150e model).  It has svideo, component and
antenna inputs.  It's got a remote and IR input.  From what I've been
reading, there is support in Linux for this thing.

I have a VHS to hook up to it also.

It came with some capture software that consumes all resources on a Celeron
1GHz with 2 GB RAM.

I have a Pentium 4m (2GHz?) running Ubuntu Heron (8.10?).  It can see the
150e.

I don't want to do a MythTV setup just to capture 2-3 tapes.

Any recommendations on software capturing? I know members have opinions :-)