Neil Joseph Schelly wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 September 2008 17:35, Alan Johnson wrote:
>> Yeah, those are nice, but all our stuff is collocated with servers that
>> already have serial ports, so it seems kind of silly to spend the money for
>> 3-4 serial consoles when 10-20 servers/serial-ports are already sitting
>> right there. =)  Still, good tip.
>
> That's exactly the reason to get a serial console server.  You have a bunch
> of
> stuff collocated with serial ports.  Now you can buy a single console server
> and plug them all in.  Then you just have to SSH/telnet to particular IP/port
> combinations for every server.
> -N

What Niel said.
I'm using a 1u 48 port networked terminal server.

You set an IP on the term server and a config on each port (webgui for
this) with com params and an IP port number.

so then ssh ip_address port will direct connect you to the serial port.

on the servers add this to /etc/inittab

T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 19200 vt100

and poof, login prompt.

Term servers are the best technology that 1992 has to offer.
They still exist for a reason and this is it :D