Shawn O'Shea writes:
> Back in my days of managing my Sun boxes, we had a Lantronix and I hated it.
> My experience with them is *years* old though. I'm partial to the Cyclades
> (now Avocent) myself. Formerly had the TS2000, now Avocent pushes the ACS48.
> I've also used Logical Solutions SCS series (liked supporting them when I
> was in CT because they were local, Milford, CT, got to visit their offices)
> and some guys here at work also use the Raritan Dominions. They are all
> Linux based.
>
> If you are looking to roll-your-own, basically all of these Linux products
> do their port management with Portstlave.
>
> Linkroll:
> Avocent Cyclades ACS: http://www.avocent.com/Products/Default.aspx?id=6846
> Logical Solutions SCS: http://www.thinklogical.com/product.asp?ID=27
> Raritan Dominion: http://raritan.com/products/serial-console-switches/
> Portslave: http://sourceforge.net/projects/portslave/

I use both the Cyclades TS2000 and Avocent ACS32 at work.  Cyclades
boxes have an underpowered CPU (they grind to a halt if you try
to actually do 32 interactive, plus 32 sniff sessions all pushing 115k
full rate over 64 different ssh sessions), buy the Avocent ones are
rock solid.

Very expensive solution though, but they run Linux which make them
cool.

--
Dave