Hey,

Is ipod the way to go for portable music player within Linux. My
understanding is that it can be done easily, however I am curious as to what
others use...

Yes, I am shopping for a portable player and have never owned one!

Also, I am strictly interested in playing music, not so much videos or
whatever else it is they do...

I run Ubuntu and the default player is rhythmbox. By default this creates
ogg files when I import a cd into my collection. I am sure that I could
either install another player (or maybe configure this to create mpg files).
I would try to stick with the ogg as my understanding is that it is FOSS.

I am aware that other companies manufacture these players and my
understanding is that some can play ogg files...

What are others using?

Are you happy with it, what are the shortcomings?

Thanks