Greg Rundlett wrote:
> I've been through the upgrade process and I'm still getting used to KDE 4.
>
> I'm frustrated by not being able to have a customized panel with
> direct launchers for all my favorite applications.  For that matter,
> although I generally keep a clean desktop, I don't like the fact that
> KDE4 won't let me put _any_ icons/shortcuts on my desktop except for
> the plasma widgets.

You can use the icon widget.  In my Mandriva 2009 install on my laptop,
I can drag a folder (from the default file manager only) onto the
"desktop" and choose "create icon" from the menu.

I hate it.

KDE4 destroyed the concept of the desktop as most people today know it.
  Personally, I keep a pretty clear (computer) desktop and use the open
space as scratch room: a place to put files and folders I am currently
working on.  With KDE4, it is no longer drag and drop, and the idea of
using a "folder contents widget" for this is both redundant and
counterintuitive.

It might as well have reverted back to the Windows 3.1 interface for all
the good it does. (AKA: it is actually not bad for a very limited subset
of what most of us do, but lacks most of the functionality most of us
expect today.)

> I can't do compiz or anything else "advanced" in the eye candy
> department (not even transparent konsole) because both my systems use
> nvidia or ati cards that are not supported yet (although they were
> supported under kde 3.x)

Good luck.

> If I get a chance, I'll add to this list of issues.

I'm hoping someone forks KDE3.x or actually gets their head out of their
rump and makes KDE4 useful.

I usually keep most of my systems running the latest major release of
the distro I use, but with KDE4, I'm dragging my heels big time.

I'd be happy to hear that things improve... soon.

Brian