>(1) With a suite of PHP scripts that could be installed on any
  >   hosting service that supports PHP (not hard to find).

  >(2) By installing a special package on a Linksys router.

  >(3) Developing an embedded Linux Internet appliance to host from a
  >   user's home/office connection.  (What, my ToS say "no servers"?)

I think that the amount of information that most people have on
Facebook, etc. and the number of times it was accessed would probably
not cause issues with most people's providers.

But Facebook and its ilk provide three services, one of storing your
information, one of easily allowing others to find it, and one of
blocking most of those people from bothering you if you do not want them
to.

(3) would easily solve the "storing" problem, but you would still need
some searching and blocking apparatus.

Probably make a good topic of conversation on Friday the 13th.

md
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(R)

Board Member: Uniforum Association
Board Member Emeritus: USENIX Association (2000-2006)

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several
countries.
(R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA used
pursuant
   to a license from Linux Mark Institute, authorized licensor of Linus
   Torvalds, owner of the Linux trademark on a worldwide basis
(R)UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other
   countries.