On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 2:37 AM, Arc Riley <arcri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's hilarious!  But jokes about PHP scripts and internet appliances
> aside, there *is* a real solution to this that's already accepted by the
> community at large.
> It's called XMPP - eXtensible Messaging and Presence Protocol.
> Thanks to Google and Livejournal there's already a huge userbase.  It's
> inter-server, so all those @gmail.com users can use any federated XMPP
> service, and federation is easy.

  XMPP is a technology to assist in the distribution of data.  It can
be used to assist in the interchange of data however a grail it is
not.

> Many services already offer XMPP access to their data, especially
> microblogging services like twitter and identi.ca.  It doesn't matter what
> XMPP server you connect to (ie, gmail.com).  If a feature isn't already
> supported by XMPP you can write an extension.  Thanks to existing and
> well-deployed standards like pubsub
> (http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0060.html) many new services don't need to
> extend XMPP for their new functionality.

  What's at issue is that the meaning of data is still left as an
interpretation to the student.  Yes, you can shove arbitrary data and
publish that data.  That data still needs to be adopted as a standard
by everyone.  As an example, connect to google chat using PSI IM, and
go ahead and try to get notifications when you have new emails.

> Facebook has flirted with XMPP in the past, they're currently planning to
> add support just for Facebook IM.  There are already a number of XMPP
> gateway apps for Facebook hosted by 3rd parties.  In Facebook's defense,
> they have an open API and allow anyone to host Facebook apps on their own
> servers that can access user's information and which have equal access to
> publish snippets to friend's pages.  There are many libraries to work with
> Facebook's API.

  The crux of the complain is, however, that you have to authenticate
with facebook.

> So a new model capable of obsoleting the existing paradigms, being as it
> must interoperate, is best implemented as XMPP service software.

  Nothing in XMPP forces anyone or anything to actually share data
over the wire.  And many would suggest it's actually a bad idea to
open it all up to external, potentially untrustworthy, JIDs.  In the
world of federation, you have to trust the remote servers.  With wide
scale adoption of XMPP federated servers, you potentially run the same
risks as MySpace, but with no central lockdown point any longer.

  Don't get me wrong.  Sharing data via XMPP can be a great thing.
But it is *NOT* the cure.  The internet is primarily built around the
idea of the routing of anyones data, in any way possible.  XMPP is the
SMTP of XML snippet routing.  There is no concept of authentication of
data in the world of the giant IPv4 network which has grown to be
known as the internet.  And that has allowed it to flurish.  Minus
some utopian identification service which can be trusted 100%, no
technology will solve the issue.  As part of that, the more XMPP is
utilized, the more issues which crud up other protocol spaces will
migrate there.

  Think I'm wrong?  Example.  Suuuuuure, you can disallow any traffic
from anyone NOT on your contact list.  However, how do they get there?
 They request to be there.  Guess what's added to that?  A message!
Hrm..  Sounds like Spam 2.0 to me!  :-D

--
-- Thomas