jk...@kinz.org writes:

> The example of GNOME choosing to have non-human-editable
> configuration files is but a single instance in this waterfall of
> movement.

GNOME forced me to abandoned it when I was *required* to install a
sound library because of a dependancy upon it by the printing library.
Why I need sound to print is still, to this day, a mystery to me!

> Another is GNOME requiring all changes to the
> configuration information be done through the gconf program.

And this is why I abandoned GnuCash.  The ability for me to use
standard Unix command line tools on my data, config, and mail files,
among others, is absolutely huge to me.  I understand Aunt Tillie
won't want or know how to do this, but I do.  And I don't want to lose
this ability!

--
Seeya,
Paul