Thanks for the responses.

Tom Buskey wrote:
> Shutdown cleanly so your system doesn't have to fsck.

OMG!  And all this time we've been instructing our customers to just pull
the AC plug from the wall when they're finished using the systems...  ;->

Yes, of course, clean shutdowns are to be preferred.  But the problem in
question is that our customers do find themselves occasionally needing
to (re)start systems in time-critical situations when, for whatever
reason, fsck decides it's time to preen, even though the system was
previously shutdown cleanly.  This seems clearly to be tied to ext3's
defaults for the "Maximum mount count" and "Check interval" values and
is not a problem with power-management or the startup/shutdown logic.

We are investigating changing/disabling those values and, as suggested,
relying instead on journal replays and scheduled, deliberate (as opposed
to these pseudo-random) fsck runs to maintain/restore filesystem health.
Changing filesystem types (to, say, ZFS) is ruled out primarily because
of the logistical nightmare of inflicting such changes on systems in
the field.

I'm still curious, though, why it's possible on some older systems
(eg. RHEL3) to interrupt fsck using Ctl-C...