>> our customers do find themselves occasionally needing to (re)start
>> systems in time-critical situations
>
>Or they *think* they need an emergency reboot.  This isn't windows.

Ahh, but I love the way Ctl-Alt-Del gives That Fresh Feeling(tm)!

With few exceptions our customers are Windows users and thus many are in
the habit of rebooting as a first response to *any* situation.  (If you
know how to get them to change their ways then maybe you also know how
to convince them to unmount USB drives before yanking the connector...)

Other times a system is being restarted because it's dual-boot and may be
in the process of changing roles.  Or it might simply have been powered
off for a while.  We can't (shouldn't have to) predict the circumstances
in which a customer might be (re)starting a machine; all we know is that
we don't want it to cause them problems.