On Tue, 2009-07-07 at 10:36 -0400, Tom Buskey wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 9:58 PM, Mark Komarinski
> <mkomarin...@wayga.org> wrote:
>         I have two early WRT54G systems that work really nice.  One
>         acts as both
>         router to the Internet and AP for access to my internal
>         network, the
>         other one for when visitors show up and/or have a 802.11b
>         device.
>
>         I'm now looking to install OpenVPN with bridging so my wife
>         can fire up
>         a client on her netbook and get access to her files that are
>         on the home
>         server.  From what I've seen, the older WRT54Gs don't have
>         enough memory
>         and/or CPU to handle doing that.
>
>         The additional problem is that Tomato doesn't have OpenVPN on
>         it, so I
>         have to find another firmware.  Tomato has a nice web-based
>         GUI that
>         makes it really easy to configure and get easy stats on.
>
>         So here I am.  Does anyone have this working now, and if so,
>         what
>         hardware/software combination are you using?
>
>         -Mark
>
> I can think of some work arounds:
>
> 1) Run OpenVPN on the home server and redirect the ports on Tomato.
> I'm not familiar enough with OpenVPN to know if this is possible.
>
> 2) Use SSH redirects to the server.  I've seen this with batch scripts
> on windows.  On Linux, I've used SSHFS.

Take a look at DD-WRT[1].  I run v24-vpn on several Linksys 54GL's and
have found that with DD-WRT the router preforms much better then Cisco's
firmware.  No more reboots, lockups, slowdowns, etc...

As for VPN, I only have a single tunnel running between my home and
office, but I have yet to notice any issues with throughput or crashes.
Everything seems to be just fine with it. :]

As for storage for larger images and files, there's at least one hack[2]
to add a SD card to the WRT54GL.  I have yet to add a SD card to one of
mine, but as soon as I have an extra unit I can spare, I'm turning on
the iron.

HTH
~k

[1] http://www.dd-wrt.com